Nutritious value of Potato
- Potato is a versatile, carbohydrate-rich food highly popular worldwide and prepared and served in a variety of ways.
- Freshly harvested, it contains about 80 percent water and 20 percent dry matter.
- About 60 to 80 percent of the dry matter is starch.
- On a dry weight basis, the protein content of potato is similar to that of cereals and is very high in comparison with other roots and tubers.
Major Growing Areas
- Pakistan ranks in the world top twenty potato producing nation. The percentage of the potato crop used for processing is showing significantly consistent growth.
- Pakistan produce high quality, smooth and natural yellow and red skin, elongated and round shaped potatoes.
- Districts of Okara, Sahiwal, Kasur, Sialkot, Sheikhupura, Jhang, Lahore, Narowal, Pakpattan, Gujranwala, T.T. Singh and Khanewal from the Punjab, Nowshera, Dir and Mansehra from the NWFP and Pishin, Killa Saifulla and Kalat from Balochistan are important potato growing districts, accounting among themselves for 78 percent of the production of the crop.